What is Activation?
Activating nuts and seeds involves soaking them in salty water, and then dehydrating them at low temperatures so the nutrients are not destroyed.
Why Activate Nuts?
The activation process increases absorbability by removing the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that reduce the body’s ability to digest and absorb certain nutrients.
You Can Activate your Own Nuts at Home Here’s How…
Each nut/seed has different soaking and drying time. Below is a chart from Lorna Jane’s Move Nourish Believe page, inspired by Sally Fallon’s book, Nourishing Traditions.
Method of Activating Nuts & Seeds
- Place your nuts/seeds in a bowl
- Cover the nuts with filtered water and a pinch of Himalayan rock salt (ensure that all nuts are emerged in the water)
- Soak according to the chart above
- Strain and rinse nuts under a tap
- Place nuts in your dehydrator as per drying instructions (as above)
- Check that all nuts are dry before removing them from the dehydrator and store them in a glass jar
If you don’t have a dehydrator you can put them in the oven on the lowest temperature i.e. 50 Celsius
In Health & Happiness
Chae @ The Wellness Emporium
Lorna Jane Website: Move Nourish Believe
Ramiel Nagel. (2010). Living with Phytic Acid. http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/
Sally Fallon’s Book, Nourishing Traditions. (2001)