Coconut oil has definitely taken off in the health food market over the years and is often used in cooking and baking. However, did you know its also a natural beauty product? You can use it as a moisturiser, eye make-up remover and of course as a natural hair treatment.
If you personally know me, you would know that my mother is a hairdresser. However, I am always trying to find natural replacements to the chemically laden hair products on the market.
Using coconut oil is not only a natural hair treatment that can assist with overall health improvement of the scalp, it is also very affordable and simple to do.
Coconut oil is an excellent hair treatment as it is rich in fatty acids, in particular lauric acid. Due to its fatty acid composition it is able to penetrate the hair shaft and reduce protein loss.
- Reduces hair breakage
- Controls frizz
- Removes and prevents lice
- Promotes hair growth
- Moisturising for dry and damaged hair
- All you need is about ¼ of a cup of liquid organic extra virgin coconut oil (depending on hair length)
- Optional: A few drops of essential oil
- Apply to damp or dry hair
- Part your hair into four sections and lather coconut oil into the area with your hands
- Massage your head to spread out the coconut oil (or alternative comb through)
- Put a shower cap on and let sit for at least 30 minutes
- Wash with a natural shampoo and condition the ends
- Heat helps intensify the treatment
- Wetting your hair will help spread the oil easily
- You may leave the treatment on overnight for an even more nourishing hair mask (make sure you wear a shower cap to bed so you don’t wreck your sheets!)
- Adding essential oils (i.e. 4 drops) can further increase the benefits of this nourishing hair treatment i.e. tea tree oil is an effective addition for dandruff due to its antifungal properties and Zizyphus jujuba for promoting hair growth
In Happiness & Health
Chae @ The Wellness Emporium
Supporting Research & Resources
Journal of Cosmetic Science. http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/12715094
Food and Chemical Toxicology. Hair growth promoting effect of Zizyphus jujube essential oil. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S02786915100014930